Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Passion and Purity

I’ve just finished reading Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. I started yesterday and finished it last night right before I fell asleep. I wish I had read this book 10 years ago when I was trying to figure out who I was as a young woman. Now that I am a woman , still single I read this digesting every word. I was completely captivated by her story and by the words that she used.
Here are some quotes that I loved:

“I was wishing that my wishes were what God wished, and if my wishes were not what God wished, I wished that I could wish that my wishes would go away, but the wishes were still there.” (p45)

I loved this quote. She was referencing her first date with Jim Elliot and how they first started spending time together. This quote can be applied to so many things and it reminds me of Paul’s letter in Romans 7: 15-20. When he talks about doing what he does not want to do but does it anyways. So often, I feel like my wishes are not what God wants. I think about my future. I wish that in Fall 2009 I will be starting Grad school somewhere. I wish that I will be married someday. I do not know if these are the wishes that God wishes for me. I don’t know but all I know is not my will but yours be done.

“Tomorrow was not our business; it was His. Letting it rest with Him was the discipline for the day, and it was enough.''(p61)

Right now, this is so effective. I feel like I’m always thinking about the future. I rarely live in today. How many lists can I write to prepare me? How many books can I read, how many journal entries or idea plots can I write to prepare me for tomorrow and forget all about today. So many days I feel like the days go by so fast and that I’m missing out. That is why I must Carpe Diem every day. I must make it a discipline to live fully in today. This sounds so easy but it is so hard. Matthew 6:34- Jesus is speaking: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." It is his direct command. Live in today.

I know just like Yesterday's Carpe Diem.. can anyone see a theme? :- )

“Let’s be candid with ourselves before God. Call a spade a spade or even a muddy shovel. If your passions are aroused, say so—to yourself and to God, not to the object of your passion. Then turn the reins over to God. Bring your will to Him. Will to obey Him, ask for His help. He will not do the obeying for you, but He will help you. Don’t ask me how. He knows how. You’ll see." (p96)

I love this quote. I love all of them. I love this book. Its’s so timely. It’s excellent advice that she sayd to turn to God not the object of our passion. I don’t think this is only for the “intense” times of sexual stuff but its for anything that leads away from God. Let us looks.. unswervingly to our savior.. He will help us. We don’t need to know how. That is the great mystery. He will though.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Great words Joanna! Thanks for posting that...it was encouraging for me to read something from someone who is kind of in the same place I am. Miss you, girl!

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

Jobie Dobie, somehow get a hold of the book "Freedom to Marry". I forget the author, I've loaned out my copy, but it is outstanding and has completely changed my entire view of marriage, thinking about it and being FREE! Cannot recommend it enough!

revtom said...

good post your highness, your words are timely for many of us... we all need to realize that THIS moment is the one we are living in... and then to live in it! Glory to God NOW!