Wednesday, September 17, 2008

first heart break as a teacher

Today in my 10C class I was finishing up a lesson. We are studying how to make words into different parts of speech. For example.. change it from a noun to an adjective to an adverb..etc.



As the students came to write what answers they found on the board I gave them a sticker for a good and complete answer. There wasn't enough for everyone to come up.. so it was down to 2 kids. I chose one. The other girl began to cry. It was so hard. She's sitting in the front row with tears running down her cheek. It broke my heart.



I talked to her after class. I apologized for not picking her but the other girl had asked first. She told me that she wasn't crying about that but that she really didn't know why she was crying. I told her..I completely understand and encouraged her.



I'm not kidding..it took everything in my soft heart not to cry with her in class. I was so sad. That's never happened.



Things are all good now.. :) She still likes me :) It was just a good teacher-student learning experience.

2 comments:

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

OUCH! I've had things like that happen many a time in 20 years of teaching. Just keep loving on her!

Anonymous said...

the difference you made is staying behind to speak into her heart... not every teacher would care that much... "what you do speaks so loudly that what you say I cannot hear" or better... as you are showing her love: "what you say I will hear" - TF