Monday, September 10, 2007

My first week

My first week was very successful. I have had all of my classes. I have about 200+ students that I need to get to know. Its actually not that many considering some native speakers have twice that! I am really enjoying my classes and getting to know my students. There are many good times and bad times but I do believe that is part of teaching!

Yesterday, we finally completed our Faculty. We were short one teacher and Miklos came to fill the position. He lived in Gainesville FL and he is a huge Football fan. I think that's funny. He's all about the Gators and we were talking about the ACC and the different teams and the season. It just made me smile to have a little part of home… who knew that I , Joanna Foley, would enjoy talking about Football. (kelsea you woulda been proud).

I experienced a bit of culture shock this week. Its not culture shock of Hungary vs. America it was culture shock of .. Private School vs. Public School. I went to Private Christian School for all of my education.. K-University and its sooooo different. The swear words, the dress, smoking, the bits of non-respect.. It amazes me. I mean I knew it was out there but I was a bit sheltered. I still hold my students to high expectations (although I know they will let me down) I think that this year will be good.

Its been rainy and cold all week. Dad would have really enjoyed the weather. It only peaked 48 degrees one day. I've been wearing a jacket or fleece every day. Today its Saturday and I have been cleaning, and cleaning and resting. Tomorrow I will meet a colleague and her daughter to go to a museum exhibit here in Budapest so I am looking forward to that time. Her name is Marianne so please be in prayer about our interaction!!

Be blessed this weekend!

2 comments:

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

Hang in there girl! Not only are you doing first year of teaching, but you are doing it cross-culturally. WOW! Hats off to you! Suggestion from a seasoned vet...split up your talkative kids from the start and tell them that they cannot get a 5 at the end of the semester if they speak Hungarian during the lesson. Then stick with it. :-) Praying!

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention that this Miklos guy happens to be a Christian - lol (it's his wife writing) God bless u