Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Locked Out

Today, I was straightening my house a little bit and I was taking out the garbage. I grabbed the keys to open the door to the trash shoot when my door closed behind me. It’s okay though because I had my keys. I realized a few seconds later that I had grabbed keys that definitely did not work. So, I was stuck, in the stairwell of my house without keys, cell phone or walled. I thought to myself.. What am I going to do?? I cannot leave my house because I could not get back into the building. So, I prayed. I literally asked God for a miracle. I had knocked on Tamas(my neighbor’s) door and Kati’s (my boss) doors but there were still at school.

So, I was standing at the top of the stairs on my floor just waiting when the elevator stopped on my floor. And out walked a locksmith.. hehe nah but my neighbor Richard who is from Uganda stepped out. We have spoken a few times before and so I asked for his help. He walked me down to the “landlord” but they were closed and then he walked me to these people just standing outside one of the doors.. to make a long story short we walked over to Pisti in his car and he said he’d be up to help me in 20 minutes.

Richard walked me back home and then he said, don’t worry, he said he will come and when they promise they will come, they mean it. What a cultural insight.

Anyways, Pisti came to my door and literally unscrewed the lock and used pliers to turn it! Thank Goodness I have a deadbolt!

I said Thank you I think five million times and gave him a few thousand forints.
So.. I got locked out but was in my apartment within 45 minutes. That’s a miracle my friends. A miracle.

No comments: