Sunday, April 6, 2008

grocery shopping

I don't like grocery shopping so much. Mostly because.. I usually have to carry it to my house, I don't understand everything and well its annoying...

but today I got to go grocery shopping with one of my greatest friends here in budpaest. We drove out to Budaors becuase on Sunday nights you must go to the 24-7 places. There is a Tesco (wal-mart) there that is gigantic! Its soo huge. Anyways. I love going to the huge shops every once in awhile because they have extra things like.. celery, white seedless grapes and baked beans in tomato sauce :-)

Usually you won't find these items in a normal grocery store. They had many other things I wanted to buy but i didn't need them :-) Like marshmellows but they were almost $5.00 for one bag. Crazy.

Its also fun to go grocery shopping with a Hungarian because well they can read everything. Like ingredient lists.. sure im taking hungarian lessons but when I buy Musli (granola) and the ingredients are listed as this:
zaphely, cukor, novenyi olaji, extrudait anyagok(kukoricadara, buzaliszt, terfogatnovelo szer... etc. I just quit.
All I can read is.. oats, sugar, some kind of oil, maybe extra mom something (anya is mom) corn something, sometype of flour, and no clue. But when you bring a hungarian a long they can read everything :-) hehe.

So just a random post but its part of me.. living here in the land of Magyars

1 comment:

Lori said...

I can totally relate! Went grocery shopping in my neighborhood (Tokyo) yesterday and couldn't tell what kind of milk I was buying - I think I ended up with cream! Then I looked for cereal - and realized - You know you're shopping in Japan when the Seaweed aisle is bigger (way bigger!) than the cereal aisle!
Thanks for your post! Good to realize I'm not the only one!