Monday, December 10, 2007

noise

Last Wednesday night at Bible Study we watched a Nooma titled Noise. It was really good. I had read some of his points, Rob Bell, in his book Velvet Elvis talking about how in 2000 it took more than 20,000 hours of taping to get 1 hour of silence. I think this is correct.

Anyways, I got to thinking, I moved to Budapest a huge city. Im no longer in quiet Lynchburg or Charlottesville. There are constant sirens, buses, villamoses, dogs, yelling, and cars at all hours of the night. The last time I went to Vac I was amazed at how quiet it was. There wasn't a lot of noise.

I am always surrounded by noise. Whethere I have my IPOD in, reading a book, talking to someone, listening to Hungarian, listening to background noises. So my question is where is God in all of this?? Is he here in the noise? Is he available through the noise.

God spoke not in an earthquake, not through fire, but through a small quiet whisper. Would I be able to hear God's voice through the loudness of my life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we have to be intentional about making quiet to hear God. And sometimes you just get a bonus moment of silence. The other day I was sitting on the hallway floor, putting away new bottles of shampoo and such, and I remembered God. So I just sat there and grinned at him for a little while. It was quite a re-freshing time! -- Lea

revtom said...

hmmm... i like what Lea says... intentionality (sp?) means seeking the place where we find him in quiet... maybe that means setting up some "white noise" which will create a quiet place... this "white noise" is just enough to give us the quiet spot to hear God... but the key is making that quiet happen...

Laci and Keri Németh said...

It is for sure harder...
I think MArk Newell posted on this... a quote from Blaise Pascal from the 17th century... I guess or he had no idea of what a 21st century Budapest is... or he was time traveling :)
But it is possible... We just need to make an EXTRA effort... Spring and summer time it is easier you can go up to the mountains... Now... I have noe ideas for you... but we have a creative GOD he will tell you...
:)
Lazo